Unit 3: Structure and bonding
- Know that a property is something that can be observed or measured
with regard to a substance.
- Understand that the properties of a substance is a product of its
underlying structure and be able to relate specific properties to specific
- be aware that exceptions to general properties may be explained by
more detailed examination of structure.
- know the three types of bonding and the structures that may arise
- be able to predict the bonding used by given elements.
- be able to suggest reasons for the use of everyday materials for different
- be familiar with the vocabulary for describing physical properties
Assessment in this unit
Criterion A - Unit test
Criterion B & C - Conductivity investigation
Criterion C - Solubility curves, precipitation reactions
Criterion D - Nano-technology
A3: Bonding: metals (and non-metals)
- chemical formulae
- chemical reactions and the conservation of mass
- balancing equations.