The structure of atoms: 9.2.4 - Isotopes
- To know that most elements have atoms which may have different number
- To know that the relative mass of an element is the weighted average
mass of its isotopes compared to the mass of a 12C atom/12.
- To be able to calculate the relative atomic mass given the isotopic
masses and relative abundances
- To be able to calculate the relative abundances of the isotopes given
the relative atomic mass and the isotopic masses.
- To know that some isotopes are unstable and decay releasing radiation.
- To understand that radiation has three common forms.
- To understand that radiation is harmful to life.
- To know that radioisotopes have many uses in society.
Student follow up
Research the uses of isotopes in society.
- smoke detectors
- radiocarbon dating
- thickness measurement
- pipeline leakage detection
- atomic energy
Isotopes 1 - flash presentation
Isotopes 2 - flash presentation