Unit 10.5.5: Organic chemistry nomenclature
- To know the IUPAC system for naming organic compounds, including alkanes,
alkenes, alkynes haloalkanes, alcohols and carboxylic acids (up to C6).
- To understand the concept of homologous series
- To know that two members of the same homologous series differ by one
- To know that homologous series are given a class name and contain
the same functional units
- To know that the physical properties of a homologous series have predictable
- To know that the chemical properties of a homologous series depend
on the functional components of the series.
Molymods are used to exemplify the structures discussed.
Appreciation of the added complexity.
Discussion of isomers and functional groups
Introduction to nomenclature
Use of root, suffix, prefix, multipliers & locants
Go through the text book section 17 and use the molymods to construct the molecules under discussion in the questions at the end of each section.Answer the questions in exercise books
Organic nomenclature - self test