Unit 10.5.4: Cracking
Demonstration of cracking of hexane.
Diagram of apparatus with explanation of function.
1. Draw the structural representation of the saturated hydrocarbon that contains 8 carbon atoms in a straight (unbranched) chain.
2. Using this structure as a starting material, draw out 5 different cracking reactions.
3. Draw three different isomers of C8H18
4. Why do we need a special naming system for organic chemicals?
5. Explain the meaning of the terms underlined in the sentences above.
6. Research and make bullet point notes on the industrial conditions required for cracking.
7. Why is cracking a very important industrial process?
Rocksil wool, broken house brick, delivery over water.
Test products with bromine water.